Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Featuring -2Good Claymates

I found 2 Good Claymates when I went blog jumping one day. When I came across this blog I was mesmerized by the blog header and one particular gecko on it. It was absolutely beautiful! The green swirls on it were perfect; not a crooked line or distortions on any of it. I was envious to say the least. Needless to say, I was quite happy when she answered my call for blog features. Here's a little more about this shop:

What is your favorite item in your shop?
I have a lot of favorites but I like my candle collars the most. They were something I dreamed about making and I love how they turned out. I have several pairs I use in my home and get comments on them all the time.
This is one of my favorites as I love the colors and the mokume gane design.


What inspires you to create?
I would say colors inspire me the most. One of the first things I did with my clay was mix my own colors! And I was so excited when I discovered you could actually save the “recipe” and make that exact color again. I have all my color samples and recipes on index cards and organized in a photo album. When I’m trying to decide what to make I will usually browse through my album and pick out color combinations I like and then dive in. When I see the colors together it will help me decide what to do next -- a mokume gane -- canes, flowers, etc. One thing I like about my work the most is the wide range of colors I use -- there is something for everyone!

And do you have any inspirational advice for other artists?
Don’t worry about trying to find your own “specialty” technique or “trademark”. Just dive in and have fun and it will eventually find you! Then again that may never happen -- lol -- I enjoy so many different techniques with the clay that I don’t think I will ever settle down and focus in on only one or two.

Do you create in more than 1 medium?
I use to oil paint as well as papier mache. I also sew a lot and have designed and made most of my own clothing and accessories. Years ago I use to have a line of specialty eyeglass cases I designed and made myself and sold to various Optical stores. I'm now making my own jewelry pouches (a simpler version of those cases I use to make) which makes the pieces I sell a little more special.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you choose? And why?
We lived in Mexico for 9 years and that was an adventure of a lifetime. We moved back to Canada in 2001 and last fall we moved from the big city and settled down in a cute little town and absolutely love it here and can’t imagine living anywhere else now.

What is your favorite food?
I don’t have too many favorite foods -- I like most things as long as it is meatless!

Favorite animal ? My favorite animal is a dog -- although I loved the geckos that were in our home and yard when we were in Mexico! Maybe that is why I like making those out of clay the most.

Favorite color? My favorite color is green -- preferably yellow greens like lime or olive. Whenever I see something in a shade of green I like, it immediately causes my head to turn and I can’t help not feeling attracted to it. Many people have told me it is because that is the color of my eyes.

Do you have a favorite quote you'd like to share?
I have a lot of favorite quotes and most of them centre around happiness and laughter. (My middle name is Joy and some people have nicknamed me “giggles”). I guess I would say, “The shortest distance between two people is laughter” by Victor Borge. He is my favorite artist who has always made me laugh the hardest!

Do you have anything else you would like to share? My name is Carolyn Good -- my hubby (and best friend) is Dave Good and that is how we came up with the name “2 Good Claymates”

2 Good Claymates can be found in several places on the web
Blogs (3): http://www.2goodclaymates.blogspot.com/
http://wearableartgallery.blogspot.com/
http://jewelryforthehome.blogspot.com/
(last 2 blogs are set up in a magazine style with links to our Art Fire Studio or Etsy Shop)

Art Fire Studio: http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&seller_id=28096
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2goodclaymates/
Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6563828
Member of the Art Fire Artisan Jeweler Guild

Member of the Polymer Clay Smooshers Guild
I'm a new member of The Shuswap Lake Festival of the Arts Society in the area where I live -- I have 4 pieces I'm entering in the juried part of the show this year (3 jewelry pieces plus a mosaic tiled coffee table) as well as selling a lot of my pieces in the gift shop that will be set up for the 9 days at the festival. I will also be demonstrating on making my floral canes at the show.
Thanks again!
Carolyn Good--


Thank you Carolyn for taking the time to share your talents with us and showing us your many beautiful peices. Please be sure to check out 2Good Claymates on Etsy and on ArtFire. I fell in love with several of their pieces, and you may just find something you just can't live without any longer, too!

3 comments:

coltpixy said...

Great article. Carolyn is also a member of the Polymer Clay Smooshers guild of Art Fire.

2 Good Claymates said...

Thanks Cindi! You do such great articles (been looking back) Kudos back to ya!
Love Carolyn

KayzKreationz said...

That candle collar is gorgeous. Hadn't seen one of those before. Thanks for the interview and introducing us to this great shop. Off to check out more of her items.
http://KayzKreationz.blogspot.com
http://KayzKreationz.etsy.com